My name is Alex and welcome to northstory & co. I’m married to my better half James. Mom to Little Miss L and Little Miss C. My Nikon is surgically attached to my hand and I needed a place to put the photos.
This was me when I was little. Everything you’re thinking about that kid when you see this photo, is most likely true of my personality today.
Except now I have longer hair and I can’t rock those shorts anymore.
Random facts about me:
- I am sci-fi nerd. LOST. Fringe. Smallville. The Matrix. Westworld. One of my favourite movies is Empire Strikes Back. One of my favorite movie quotes is “I love you.” “I know.” I have an R2-D2 cell phone case. Enough said.
- In my pre-suburban life, I worked in television and lived downtown in the city. When you go from being a TV producer to staying at home with your kids, it’s kind of like the equivalent of being grounded as an adult. I needed to maintain my love of creative story telling so I started this blog. Right now, I freelance as a social media manager and digital marketing strategist/consultant.
- I do not blog on a regular schedule. If you are a person that wants posts delivered on certain days each week, that is not me. I write posts as I do projects and have things I want to share. I am just warning you in advance in case you’re like “Did she go on vacation?” No. I am probably watching The Walking Dead marathon on AMC.
- I was a bad Canadian and hated beer my entire life until I was pregnant with my 2nd child. Then it was all I craved. Now it’s the reason we built the mini bar in our previous basement. That and wine.
- My favorite author is John Irving. The Cider House Rules and A Widow for One Year changed how I saw literature. I got a chance to work at an event where he did a reading once. Then I spent 10 mins awestruck standing next to him and his publicist backstage and I couldn’t figure out how to get out a “Hello” if my life depended on it. Similar story happened with Chris Martin and Coldplay and I can’t get over that one.
- I could probably work without training in IKEA’s market hall. It’s a problem. On that note, if I buy something from IKEA there’s a good chance it will be discontinued by the time you read about it on here. If you like something, buy it before I do. It’s like a curse. And there is a lot and I mean a lot of IKEA in our house. I could give Fight Club a run for its money.
- Do not make me look for a Font to use for a project. I love Typography and will easily spend an entire day choosing one.
- I affectionately call my style Modern Antique. Think IKEA mixed with thrift stores. Somehow put together it all works. If I had decor motto it would be “I like uncomplicated.” Patterns and me do not get along.
- I love wood grain and unpainted wood. I have this obsession with butcher block counter tops.
- Thrift stores are my second home. Possibly first. I am a really big fan of upcycling.
- My favorite place on earth is New Orleans and my husband and I dream of retiring there in a creole cottage.
- I have a very dark self-deprecating sense of humor. So if you read about my going to the LCBO with my kids, I’m totally joking. I’m not.
- Nocturnal by nature, I am not a morning person, yet my favorite time of day is just before the sun rises. I am never awake early enough to see it.
The best place to find me is on Twitter!
Feel free to say hello! Due to the volume of requests, I apologize I can’t respond to every inquiry though I do read every single one.
Let’s Work Together!
To find out more about how we can work together on sponsored posts, brand ambassadorships, social & digital marketing campaigns, and other freelance work, please visit my Let’s Work Together page.
For information about my Copyright Policy and Photo Use, please visit my FAQ/Site Policies page.