My name is Alex. I’m married to my better half James. Mom to Little Miss L and Little Miss C. My Nikon is surgically attached to my hand and I needed a place to put the photos.
This was me when I was little. Everything you’re thinking about that kid when you see this photo, is most likely true of my personality today.
Except now I have longer hair and I can’t rock those shorts anymore.
Random facts about me:
- I am sci-fi nerd. LOST. Fringe. Smallville. The Matrix. Westworld. One of my favourite movies is Empire Strikes Back. One of my favourite movie quotes is “I love you.” “I know.” I have an R2-D2 cell phone case. Enough said.
- In my pre-suburban life, I worked in television and lived downtown in the city. When you go from being a TV producer to staying at home with your kids, it’s kind of like the equivalent of being grounded as an adult. I needed to maintain my love of creative story telling so I started this blog. Right now, I freelance as a social media manager and digital marketing strategist.
- I do not blog on a regular schedule. If you are a person that wants posts delivered on certain days each week, that is not me. I write posts as I do projects and have things I want to share. I am just warning you in advance in case you’re like “Did she go on vacation?” No. I am just probably watching The Walking Dead marathon on AMC.
- I was a bad Canadian and hated beer my entire life until I was pregnant with my 2nd child. Then it was all I craved. Now it’s the reason we built the mini bar in our previous basement. That and wine.
- My favourite author is John Irving. The Cider House Rules and A Widow for One Year changed how I saw literature. I got a chance to work at an event where he did a reading once. And I spent 10 mins awestruck standing next to him and his publicist backstage and I couldn’t figure out how to get out a “Hello” if my life depended on it.
- I could probably work without training in IKEA’s market hall. It’s a problem. On that note, if I buy something from IKEA there’s a good chance it will be discontinued by the time you read about it on here. If you like something, buy it before I do. It’s like a curse. And there is a lot and I mean a lot of IKEA in our house. I could give Fight Club a run for its money.
- Do not make me look for a Font to use for a project. I love Typography and will easily spend an entire day choosing one.
- I affectionately call my style Modern Antique. Think IKEA mixed with thrift stores. Somehow put together it all works. If I had decor motto it would be “I like uncomplicated.” Patterns and me do not get along.
- I love wood grain and unpainted wood. I have this obsession with butcher block counter tops.
- Thrift stores are my second home. Possibly first.
- I like white walls. Please don’t make me paint anything in colour. I will get tired of it by next week. Ok, I lied. We just painted our dining room dark navy blue and now I feel like a traitor to all my Pinterest boards.
- I have a very dark self-deprecating sense of humour. So if you read about my going to the LCBO with my kids, I’m totally joking. Maybe.
- Nocturnal by nature, I am not a morning person, yet my favourite time of day is just before the sun rises. I am never awake early enough to see it.
The best place to find me is on Twitter. I love social media in general but at least with Twitter you don’t have to stage a photo to say Hi. Oh don’t pretend like you don’t know what I mean Instagram junkies.
Just a side note, if you’re new here, my first blog was called northofseven. Because of this I have a lot of older posts and photos watermarked with my old blog name. So I apologize in advance for any confusion they may cause. I am working on updating them. Read: that is never going to happen. I’ve accepted it.
What can you find on northstory and co? Well I have a ton of Home Decor and renovation projects which involve dramatic stories and two IKEA kitchen renos. A lot of holiday and DIY crafts that we did as our girls were growing up. Halloween is my fav.
Feel free to say hello! Due to the volume of requests, I apologize I can’t respond to every inquiry though I do read every single one.
Let’s Work Together!
To find out more about how we can work together on sponsored posts, brand ambassadorships, social & digital marketing campaigns, and other freelance work, please visit my Let’s Work Together page.
For information about my Copyright Policy and Photo Use, please visit my FAQ/Site Policies page.